Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Can you really make cheap, healthy meals?

The answer is yes. Might it take a bit more time, sure. Anything worth having takes a bit of effort. Once you cook more at home and use whole, healthy ingredients, it becomes second nature. While learning what is healthy to eat and how to put it together might take some practice, the pay off is worth it in the long run. My job as a Nutrition Education Assistant (ironic as I assist no one) is to help individuals and families learn to choose healthy foods and make them into delicious meals and snacks. My test recipes don't always turn out, but the point is to try. Once you have a cache of 15 to 20 good tried and true recipes, one simply has to rotate them through the month, trying new recipes when time allows. I get many of my recipes for classes from the SNAP ED website. There are hundreds of low cost, healthy meals on this website, but only a handful have reviews or have been rated. I have decided to cook my way through them (yes, I know, very Julie and Julia) so that I and my fellow NEA's have a resource to turn to. I will do my best to add flavor suggestions and alterations when needed. Hopefully this blog turns out to be a useful tool for others in my profession. If not, I get to make and eat lots of yummy, different foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment